Columbus State University's Department of English
and Carson McCullers Center for Writers and Musicians
The First Annual Carson McCullers Literary Festival
April 20-21, 2018
We're beefing up the Carson McCullers Literary Awards!
More prizes, more prize money, a two-day festival format featuring readings and master classes by nationally known writers, an all-student poetry slam, and pre-festival Saturday workshops for high school student writers.
Prize Money Doubled, New Prize Categories!
In addition to Fiction, Poetry, Creative Nonfiction and Expository Essay, we've added Screenplay and One-Act Play categories, with $300 for First Place, and $200 for Second Place, and $100 for Third Place in each.
Deadline: Friday, March 23
Limit one entry in each category per student.
Introducing the first annual Carson McCullers Literary Festival
Five Pre-Festival Workshops at the Smith-McCullers House
- Saturday, Feb. 3 – Poetry (led by Jonathan Perkins)
- Saturday, Feb. 10 – Screenwriting (led by Natalia Temesgen)
- Saturday, Feb. 24 – Playwriting (led by Scott Wilkerson)
- Saturday, Mar. 3 – Creative Nonfiction (led by Joe Miller)
- Saturday, Mar. 10 – Fiction (led by Melissa Pritchard)
To register for any of the workshops, please email mccullerscenter.columbusstate.edu
The Festival will featured Writers/Workshop Leaders:
- Harper Lee Award Winner Brad Watson
- Novelist Melissa Pritchard
- Poet Jonathan Perkins
- CSU Creative Writing Writer Professors Joe Miller, Natalia Temesgen, and Carey Scott Wilkerson
...and an Awards Ceremony with readings by winning student writers.